Congress seems stymied in coming us with a budget that doesn’t bankrupt the government, i.e. the one thing it really needs to do. It’s up to a lot of other stuff, though. Here is a taste.
Stare into the Nexus
Sen. Jeff Bingaman (NM) has introduced the Energy and Water Integration Act of 2011 (S. 1343). The bill would
- Commission the National Academy of Sciences to study water use in the energy sector.
- Direct the Secretary of Energy to
-- Study alternative technologies for water efficiency in energy generation.
-- Develop roadmap for the future of energy-water research.
-- Conduct a comprehensive water and energy savings study.
- Direct the Secretary of the Interior to study energy efficiency in Reclamation projects.
- Fund ground water desalination research.
- Provide grants for water and energy conservation demonstration projects.
- Provided technical assistance related to energy and water efficiency to rural drinking water and wastewater utilities.
Witnesses favored the surface transportation bill during recent hearings of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.